GSA EPA Building
In the early 20th century the Federal Triangle area of Washington DC was one of the city’s distressed neighborhoods. In an attempt to improve this area of the city, the federally funded Senate Park Commission developed an urban redevelopment plan coined the 1901 McMillan Plan. The plan proposed that the triangle-shaped area between Pennsylvania Avenue, the National Mall, and the Ellipse be developed into a district of prestigious federal buildings. Construction was completed in 1934.
In 2002 the complex underwent major renovations. Following these updates, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) took occupancy and the structures now known as EPA East, the Andrew Mellon Auditorium, and EPA West. The complex is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Under contract to the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), Group14 provided project management and support to Group14’s retro-commissioning (RCx) efforts of these three office buildings totaling over 2,000,000 SF. The work entailed multi-day site visits, detailed trend data analysis, and functional performance testing. Through this investigation, Dennis helped identify over 100 energy conservation measures.
Retro-commissioning (RCx) efficiency measures save $870,000/ year – one year payback for efficiency improvements.